It’s an exciting and stressful time when the day comes that you have to think about a website redesign. Your website needs to stay fresh and up to date, but most importantly you have to take in to consideration the visitor’s experience. Here are a few recent facts about online users:
- More searches take place on mobile devices than on computers.
- People are spending more than 5 hours a day on mobile devices
- 70% of mobile searches result in an online action within an hour of the search being conducted.
- People retain 55% more information when it is accompanied by visual content.
- By 2017, video content will represent 74% of all internet traffic.
- 4X as many consumers would prefer to watch a video about a product than read about it.
- 38% of people will stop engaging with a website if the content/layout is unattractive.
- People only take 0.05 seconds to form an opinion on a website, deciding whether they will leave or stay.
So after knowing a few facts, what are the questions you should ask yourself to decide whether it’s time for a new website?
1. Is your website responsive?
Responsive web design enables your website to adapt to the device the website visitor is using at the time they visit your site. So no matter where a website visitor is or what kind of computer or device they use to get to your site – the website will render to look great, be easily navigated, and load relatively quickly. By responding to the device a visitor is using, responsive web design enables visitors to interact with a website easily, with minimal need for resizing, panning or scrolling when they arrive. Given the facts above about the use of mobile devices and searches, responsive design is now a must to create a pleasant visitor experience. Another important question to ask yourself – Is your call to action mobile friendly? Can the visitor easily fill out and submit an online inquiry to be contacted with more information or to schedule a campus tour? Make it easy for the people who want to take that next step!
2. Are you accurately portraying your school’s story?
The most important way to portray your school’s story is through your visual content. Visual content is more engaging than text, make sure your visuals are relevant and have been updated in the past year. Video is a great way to engage your website visitor, video is becoming a common way that we receive information day to day. A great example of a school that has utilized video is www.dallaschristian.com.
3. Is your most important content easy to find?
Can you find your most visited pages quickly or do you have information buried, you should be able to get to every page in two clicks. Having multiple sub menus and PDF’s is complicated and frustrates your website visitor.
4. Would your website hold up to today’s standards?
Website visitor’s standards are higher than ever. Design matters and your home page should tell your story and make the visitor want to look further in to your school. The facts show that opinions are formed quickly, so make sure you are doing your best!
If you are currently a Campus Web Solutions school and thinking about a redesign, please reach out and we can start the redesign process. If you are interested in becoming a Campus Web Solutions school, or would just like us to review your website and share a few tips, please fill out our grade my website form.